As parents we are always told how important it is to read to our children from a young age. When I had my first child, I remember feeling somewhat overwhelmed by all the book choices for babies and didn’t really know where to start. Thankfully however, I was lucky to get some pointers from friends together with a great selection of books as gifts so thought I would share the ones that are most read, two babies later.
This list of 12 books for babies under 12 months falls into 5 different categories
Touchy feely books – babies can interact and explore lots of different textures
1. ‘That’s Not My’ series by Fiona Watt
2. Happy Families from Ladybird Baby Touch Collection
Baby Faces – babies love looking at other babies!
3. Baby Faces from Amazing Baby Collection
4. Baby Faces Peekaboo by DK Books
Peekaboo books – help babies thinking and memory skills
5. Eyes, Nose, Toes Peekaboo by DK Books
6. Farm Peekaboo by DK Books
Puppet books – help to encourage interactive play
7. The Very Hungry Caterpillar’s Finger Puppet book by Eric Carle
8. Guess How Much I Love You: One More Tickle by Sam McBratney
Bed Time Books – stories to help bond with your baby before bedtime
9. On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
10. Guess How Much I love you by Sam McBratney
11. Ten Little Fingers Ten Little Toes by Helen Oxenbury
12. Sometimes by Emma Dodd
You can find more books to read to a newborn or a preemie in hospital here.
Image Credit: Lorelyn Medina Shutterstock